One way or another, washing a car in a car wash leads to very different results from cleaning at home. Don’t you sometimes just look at a spotless car and wonder: “How do the washers give the car a shine as if it had just come off the assembly line? What are they doing?”… Or, more importantly, what they are not doing.
We have learned the secrets of washing a car and share them with you. Finally, you can start cleaning your car yourself like a pro without any help, and our tips will help you with this.
5 practical ways to wash your car:
1. The device of your car will tell you how best to cope with the task, i.e., whether to start with the wheels, then the top and bottom of the vehicle. Either from the interior and exterior or from the dirtiest place to the cleaner sections. Whichever option you choose, never bite more than you can chew.
In other words, it’s best to work in a small 2 x 2 section to make it easier to trap dirt – into your hand with the cleaning agent. Thus, you reduce the possibility of forming a whirlpool with the dirt already washed away.
2. Although the engine is predominantly hidden under the hood, the outer surface and additional compartments are areas that must be cleaned.
You must be careful with electrical sensors, open spark plugs, and other sensitive areas in this section of the vehicle. Before cleaning this section, cover it with a waterproof cloth with aluminum foil or plastic bags (divided into sectors with tape).
3. You will make a great purchase if you decide to spend money on a steam cleaner. Well-designed cleaners are not only easy to use but could be the only way to clean the surface. Detrimental to the treatment with chemical detergents are well known. Steam cleaners are equally suitable for cleaning the passenger compartment and wheels, such as SUV tyres, especially when removing fine particles from the brakes.
Testing the tool before using it inside the vehicle is essential to ensure that the temperature does not spoil the seat upholstery.
4. Leather seats are easier to clean than fabrics. Leather material is durable, but only if it is contained and handled correctly. Often, you just wipe the leather surface with cleaning products without thinking that they also get into the seams. Excess lotion builds up, and this will cause the threads to loosen and break. A shabby leather interior will not decorate your car.
When washing, it is better to apply most of the detergent to the main areas of contamination and pay attention to the seams at the very end, when there is a minimum of detergent on the napkin.
After polishing the surface, double-check the seams for any detergent left on them.
5. Last but not least, where the wheels touch the tyres, never use the same napkins and towel with which you washed the body. As already mentioned, brake elements are challenging to clean, and when the sand is almost gone, a small amount will still remain on the cloth used in the process.
Bonus tip: do not forget to check the tyre pressure. Tyre pressure is a critical point that should not be neglected for many reasons. One of them is a direct relationship with fuel consumption. Tyre pressure also tells you how long it should last. How can a lack of pressure or an excess of it affect fuel consumption? And how can a decrease in tire-on-wheel life be determined? Keep these questions in mind.
Of course, it will be difficult to replicate all the steps of the experts precisely, but these little tricks will give you enough knowledge to be able to wash your car yourself. Quickly, efficiently and most importantly, with minor damage. Now you know the best way to clean the individual sections: engine area, leather, seat upholstery, and bodywork. Plus, a bonus tip to keep your tyres in check: SUV tyres, sports, or van tyres.