Homework time has become a difficult situation in many houses that usually ends in punishment, crying, and family discomfort. There are many children who, due to tiredness, fatigue, or their own difficulties with the subject, show a great hesitation to do homework.
They ignore, refuse to sit down, lie about their homework, ask for excessive help, or keep calls constant attention, making homework finally a conflictive situation.
Homework, a responsibility of the child.
Doing homework is one of the first tasks of academic responsibility that children have to practice the contents seen in class and consolidate their learning.
It is a task designed and explicitly scheduled for them for their own growth. Homework is a magnificent opportunity to increase their independence, develop their knowledge, acquire academic skills and develop a good study habit. This is essential to achieve satisfactory results.
Must Read: Do You Play With Me Mom?
That is why homework should be done by themselves, without the constant help of mom and dad. Suppose we do homework for them and take responsibility for looking at what lesson they have, telling them, and making it easy for them all the way.
Children must learn to be self-sufficient, and parents’ attitude must be of supervision or punctual support. Parents can help the child to develop his study skills. But once the habit has been taught and acquired, parents must leave space for the child himself to put it into practice, and then authentic learning takes place.
When to give it autonomy and responsibility?
Liberty and responsibility must be present from the beginning when they start sending homework assignments. Initially, supervision and support should be more frequent. Still, as the child learns to do it independently, we must encourage him to carry out his tasks on his own and take responsibility.
Many children refuse to do their homework but feel ashamed if they go to class without their homework done. It is essential to allow them to take responsibility for their behavior and avoid overprotection.
If they refuse to do them, they will have to assume the natural consequence of not doing them: go to class without their homework and tell the teacher.
And how can you help him with his homework?
Guidelines to follow to better manage homework time:
- The study place should be a quiet space without disturbances. You can be alone and carry out your homework without interruptions from outside.
- Establish a schedule where you always do your homework simultaneously, with no exceptions, to create a stable and predictable routine.
- Establish an end time for homework, which will be based on the workload that your school puts on you and your own abilities. After this time, the time of study or assignment will be over, and you will not be able to continue. This measure will help you organize yourself better and make the time really worthwhile. We can place a clock in front of your study place and tell you, always with a positive attitude, what time is available.
- Remind him of the steps to follow at homework time: look at the schedule, get the materials I need, books, etc. It is also advisable to teach him to organize his tests or assignments on a calendar to know what to do each day.
- It is advisable, in the beginning, to help you organize the tasks according to difficulty. It is best to start with a medium-difficulty task, continue with something difficult and finish with an easy task. This way, you will be more productive.
- Schedule rest times every few minutes. During this time, you can go for a drink of water, take a walk around the house, or get up and stretch. At these times, it is essential not to do other activities that may interfere with doing homework, such as watching TV, playing with the tablet, etc.
- Encourage him to prepare the contents of his exams himself: underlining, making outlines, summaries, etc. Good study techniques are elementary.
- When you start to do your homework, it is advisable to withdraw from the situation and tell him that if you need help, let him know. If your calls are constant, we can ask you to write down all the doubts that may arise on a separate sheet, and when you finish, mom or dad will come to help you.
- Avoid systematically pointing out mistakes. It is better to tell him to review his homework in order to discover his failures for himself.
- When you finish your tasks, it is advisable to leave free time to do some activity that you like as a reward for your effort and dedication.
- Praise every effort made. It will give you the confidence and motivation to keep going.
With all these recommendations, we will make the study time a more relaxed moment. It will improve their academic performance while taking care of the father/mother and child relationship.