When buying a car on the secondary market, the problem often arises to avoid scammers and not buy a vehicle (with all its components, including tyres) that has already worked its way but is issued as a new one.
The easiest way to find out the length of the service life is to check the mileage, but this factor may not be an accurate indicator due to deception by the seller. The buyer needs to determine whether the mileage is twisted or not, and this is not always possible to do right away.
How to determine if the mileage is twisted or not?
The problem with finding out the mileage of a car is found almost all over the world since there are many ways to change this parameter on the devices, and many sellers use it to sell a vehicle at a higher price. It is also used to save on additional payments and taxation when higher tariffs are provided for cars with high mileage.
There are several ways to find out the accurate mileage. First of all, you need to use the indicators on the odometer. The device displays the total distance travelled by the vehicle. But at the same time, it should be understood that with the active use of the car, it drives 15-20 thousand kilometres per year. Therefore, if the vehicle is seven years old or more and not the odometer of 80-90 thousand kilometres, then this may indicate possible fraud. In this case, to find out if the mileage is twisted, you need to use additional funds.
Additional ways to find out the twisted mileage on a car include:
- Track the status of indicators: This is not true for all car models, but some have electronic sensors that emit an appropriate signal if any interventions have been made to reduce the total distance travelled. An inexperienced buyer may not be aware of them and will not perceive the warning icon as necessary. To find out how to check if the mileage is twisted, you need to read in advance about such a possibility and a corresponding signal in the model that the buyer wants to purchase.
- Please pay attention to odometer divisions: Often, after outside interference, divisions change their original colour. In particular, this is true for mechanical models in which the distances between the divisions take on a different shade.
- Another way to find out the car’s actual mileage is to study the dashboard: It is necessary to pay attention to its condition since traces of interference often remain when twisting. All fasteners should be the same and even, and there should be no traces of panel removal and scratches in places near the buckle. If the panel has not been repaired or replaced entirely, which the seller can inform about, then traces of interference are likely to indicate a decrease in mileage.
- Checking the service book is another indirect way to check the accurate mileage of the car: The more actively the vehicle is used, the more often you have to contact the service centre, regardless of the brand and brand. All visits for repairs are noted in the service book. If there are edits and erasures, then this should already make you think about the seller’s honesty. Also, suspiciously low mileage with frequent use indicates a high probability of interference with the odometer readings.
- Measurement of the tread height of tyres, if they have not changed since the purchase of the car: This is one of the most effective ways to check if the mileage on a vehicle is twisted, but it is not always available since tyres are replaced if the tyre is used for too long. With standard driving style, the tread wear on the car will show the approximate mileage. If, when measuring these indicators, a significant discrepancy is noticeable and with worn tyres, the vehicle has a minimum mileage, then this indicates a deception by the seller. However, do make sure that the salon is equipped with the corresponding tyres. For example, one good fit for a light truck would be the Falken Linam Van01.
- Checking the handlebars and pedals is another way to determine, based on wear, items that rarely change: With constant trips, the brake pedal, gas pedal, and steering wheel, over time, are overwritten. Fraudsters rarely pay attention to these indirect signs, but they make it possible to determine the accurate mileage of the car.
- Replacement of spare parts with new ones or too high level of wear of specific components: Here, everything happens in the same way as in the previous case. An experienced motorist will be able to understand how much the car has travelled according to the state of the main functional elements, and it will become clear whether this corresponds to the odometer readings or not.
- You can contact the service centre (best of all, the official one, where the maintenance and diagnostics of cars of a particular brand take place ): This is the most effective way to determine if the mileage is twisted and if it has electronics and a computer. In such a situation, specialists can check the usual indicators that are available to the user and the data copied to the backup storage, to which the fraudsters have no access.
Experts know more about calculating the probable mileage based on the condition of the car and its specific parts. Such methods should be resorted to if suspicions arise, but it is impossible to determine the cause independently.